The provincial government has approved disaster funding for northern Alberta residents who will need to rebuild after spring flooding, according to a news release.
Premier Jason Kenney will provide details on the additional funding in a news conference at 2:30 p.m. today.
Kenney will be accompanied by Municipal Affairs Minister Kaycee Madu and MLAs for Fort McMurray-Lac La Biche, Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo and Peace River.
CBC News will livestream the announcement. You can watch it here or on CBC Edmonton’s Facebook page.
Kenney has previously said that the Fort McMurray flood could qualify for the province’s Disaster Recovery Program.
Under that program, the government would provide some financial support for recovery costs for critical public infrastructure and non-insured private infrastructure.
Friday’s announcement on disaster funding comes after Don Scott, mayor of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, called for extra federal and provincial dollars to help the nearly 13,000 people forced from their homes due to flooding last week.
The province had offered emergency payments to those affected — $1,250 for adults and $500 for children.
But Scott had said that would only provide temporary relief.
The flooding began April 26, when a 25-kilometre sheet of ice effectively dammed the Athabasca River, forcing the Clearwater River to reverse course and flood the city’s downtown core. An estimated 1,230 structures were damaged.
CBC News will livestream today’s announcement at 2:30 p.m. on our website and on CBC Edmonton’s Facebook page.