8.6 C
New York
Sunday, August 1, 2021
Home Health & Fitness Premier, education minister speak amid criticism of Ontario's back-to-school plan

Premier, education minister speak amid criticism of Ontario’s back-to-school plan


Premier Doug Ford and his education minister, Stephen Lecce, are speaking to reporters today as the Ontario government defends its back-to-school plan for September.

The pair are holding a news conference at Queen’s Park that began at 10 a.m. ET. Health Minister Christine Elliott is also on hand.

Lecce first revealed the ministry’s plan for a return to class for Ontario’s two million students last Friday.

Since then, he and the premier have faced some criticism over the details of the strategy, in particular the government’s decision to keep elementary school class sizes at pre-COVID-19 levels.

In Ontario, there are no cap sizes for classes in Grades 4 through 8, only a maximum average of 24.5 across each board. That means it’s not uncommon for children in high enrolment school boards to find themselves in classes of up to 30 students. 

Both Lecce and Ford have already conceded that despite measures to maximize the available space for in-person learning, distancing of at least two metres — the range recommended by Canadian public health experts amid the COVID-19 pandemic — won’t always be possible for students in school.

Earlier this week, Ford said that while it’s not a “perfect” plan, it is still the best “in the entire country.” He also stressed that parents who are especially concerned have the ability to opt for online learning curriculums for their children. 

For his part, Lecce has repeatedly pointed to the combination of safety measures that will be in place, such as a mandatory mask policy for Grades 4 to 12, limiting the number of people students will interact with during the school day and hiring additional custodians and public health nurses.

In a statement to CBC Toronto, a spokesperson for Lecce’s office said the plan has been “informed by the best medical and scientific minds in the country” like Ontario’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. David Williams, and a team of experts from Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children.

“The evidence is emerging and our plan is a living document — it’s meant to be augmented and adapted to apply the best advice as it emerges. We will never hesitate from taking further action to protect the health and safety of Ontario’s students and education staff,” the statement continued.



Source link

Today news
Today News 1 runs four of the western GTA’s most influential media websites, offering news, food, lifestyle and entertainment coverage for millions to the Golden Horseshoe and GTA regions. The independently-run, online news source was founded in 2019 and specializes in everything from breaking news to food and restaurant, arts and entertainment and lifestyle coverage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Oilpatch revival underway with robust profits so far this year

After racking up debt in 2020, the Canadian oilpatch is enjoying a rebound so far this year as major oil producers are gushing...

Business travel isn’t expected to return to pre-pandemic levels anytime soon

Kacey Siskind recently took her first business trip to the U.S. since the pandemic began.  The vice-president of business development at Honk Mobile, a...

Pop star Kris Wu detained by Beijing police on suspicion of sexual assault

Chinese-Canadian pop star Kris Wu has been detained by Beijing police on suspicion of rape, police announced Saturday, following an accusation the former...

Barenaked Ladies ready to return to stage after a Detour de Force

Among the four current members of Barenaked Ladies, there are differing feelings about returning to the stage. There is the predictable excitement, but...

Recent Comments