8.6 C
New York
Monday, August 2, 2021
Home Canadian News Ottawa announces $2.3M help to combat COVID-19 outbreak in northern Saskatchewan

Ottawa announces $2.3M help to combat COVID-19 outbreak in northern Saskatchewan


The federal government says it is contributing $2.3 million in funding to support a response plan in northern Saskatchewan that is dealing with a COVID-19 outbreak in the region.

Indigenous Services Canada said in a news release Wednesday night that the money will go to the North West Saskatchewan Pandemic Response Plan, which includes First Nation, Metis, municipal, provincial and federal officials.

There is a COVID-19 outbreak in the province’s La Loche area, which includes the village of La Loche and the nearby Clearwater River Dene Nation.

The government of Saskatchewan says 149 out of the 186 active cases are in the northern part of the province, which includes the La Loche area.

The money will be used for security checkpoints throughout the area, provision of home care supplies, “measures to address food security” and youth engagement.

The outbreak has claimed two lives, elders in their 80s who were residents of long-term care homes. It has also resulted in restrictions in the area, with travel permitted only for essentials like medical appointments or to buy groceries.

The province’s chief medical health officer has also banned gatherings of more than 10 people.

The Saskatchewan government initially reported that the cause of the outbreak was connected to an oilsands camp in northern Alberta at Kearl Lake. The more recent cases in the outbreak have been linked to community transmission.

Health workers are currently in the La Loche area with mobile testing units and the plan is to test every one of the more than 700 households in the area.



Source link

Today news
Today News 1 runs four of the western GTA’s most influential media websites, offering news, food, lifestyle and entertainment coverage for millions to the Golden Horseshoe and GTA regions. The independently-run, online news source was founded in 2019 and specializes in everything from breaking news to food and restaurant, arts and entertainment and lifestyle coverage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Rapper DaBaby cut from Lollapalooza music festival over recent homophobic comments

Rapper DaBaby was cut Sunday from Lollapalooza's closing lineup following crude and homophobic remarks he made last week at a Miami-area music festival....

Oilpatch revival underway with robust profits so far this year

After racking up debt in 2020, the Canadian oilpatch is enjoying a rebound so far this year as major oil producers are gushing...

Business travel isn’t expected to return to pre-pandemic levels anytime soon

Kacey Siskind recently took her first business trip to the U.S. since the pandemic began.  The vice-president of business development at Honk Mobile, a...

Pop star Kris Wu detained by Beijing police on suspicion of sexual assault

Chinese-Canadian pop star Kris Wu has been detained by Beijing police on suspicion of rape, police announced Saturday, following an accusation the former...

Recent Comments