8.6 C
New York
Friday, June 25, 2021
Home Business Ontario court extends suspension of case against 3 tobacco companies

Ontario court extends suspension of case against 3 tobacco companies


An Ontario court has again extended an order suspending legal proceedings against three major tobacco companies as they pursue mediation with their creditors.

In a virtual hearing this morning, Ontario Superior Court Justice Thomas McEwen agreed to extend the stay against JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. until March 31, 2021.

McEwen said he accepted the position of the companies that they were engaging in good faith negotiations with their creditors, and noted none of the other parties opposed the extension.

The stay has already been extended several times, most recently in February, and was due to expire Wednesday.

The order to put legal proceedings against the three tobacco giants on hold was first granted more than a year ago after the companies lost an appeal in a landmark class-action lawsuit in Quebec.

The stay aims to maintain the status quo while the companies negotiate a global settlement with the class-action members and several other creditors — including a number of provincial governments seeking to recover health-care costs related to smoking.

Lawyers representing the Quebec plaintiffs said earlier this year they believed a settlement could be reached by Wednesday’s deadline, stressing the urgent need for a resolution given that class-action members continue to die from smoking-related health issues.

Rob Cunningham, who represents the Canadian Cancer Society, said outside of the hearing that provincial governments must make public health measures the priority in the negotiations.

“What is most important about any potential settlement is its final content. It is essential that any potential settlement contain substantial long-term funding for tobacco control initiatives, as well as effective policy measures to reduce tobacco use,” he said in an email.

“The tobacco industry should not be able to carry on business as usual.”



Source link

Today news
Today News 1 runs four of the western GTA’s most influential media websites, offering news, food, lifestyle and entertainment coverage for millions to the Golden Horseshoe and GTA regions. The independently-run, online news source was founded in 2019 and specializes in everything from breaking news to food and restaurant, arts and entertainment and lifestyle coverage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Astronomers estimate 29 potentially habitable exoplanets may have received signals from Earth

The Milky Way is a big place. There are an estimated 200 billion stars, most of them with one or more planets. As...

Brantford business owner says she got ‘zero’ Ontario COVID-19 money, calls for simpler process

Little by little, from a family death to watching her client base dissolve, it's been a tough year for Jeannine Webster. The...

Calgary-based guitarist and blues legend Ellen McIlwaine dies at 75

Guitarist and blues singer Ellen McIlwaine died Wednesday at the age of 75, and for Alberta's music community, it's the loss of a legend....

2 N.B. men posted a video asking for friends to hang out with. Now they’re TikTok famous

It was a simple enough TikTok video. Just two guys on a beach in Salisbury, N.B., wondering if anyone out there wanted to hang...

Recent Comments