8.6 C
New York
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Home World News Decision to charge only 1 British soldier in Bloody Sunday killings is...

Decision to charge only 1 British soldier in Bloody Sunday killings is upheld


Prosecutors in Northern Ireland on Tuesday upheld a decision not to prosecute 15 soldiers for their role in the killing of 13 unarmed Catholic civil rights marchers in Londonderry, also known as Derry, by British paratroopers in 1972.

Prosecutors last year announced that there was sufficient evidence to prosecute one former British soldier, dubbed Soldier F, for two murders, but that there was insufficient evidence to charge 16 other soldiers. One of those 16 has since died.

A number of the bereaved families and injured victims subsequently exercised their right to request a review of the decisions.

“I have concluded that the available evidence is insufficient to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction of any of the 15 soldiers,” Marianne O’Kane, senior assistant director of Northern Ireland’s Public Prosecution Service, said in a statement.

The prosecution of Soldier F is ongoing but has not yet reached trial.

In one of the most notorious incidents of the Northern Ireland conflict, soldiers from the Parachute Regiment opened fire on Sunday, Jan. 30, 1972, during an unauthorized march in a nationalist area of Londonderry.

They killed 13 people and wounded 14 others, one of whom died later, in the worst single shooting incident of The Troubles, three decades of sectarian violence involving Irish nationalists seeking a united Ireland and pro-British forces.

The 1998 Good Friday Agreement brought a close to a conflict in which about 3,500 people were killed.

A judicial inquiry into the events of Bloody Sunday said in 2010 the victims were innocent and had posed no threat to the military.





Source link

Today news
Today News 1 runs four of the western GTA’s most influential media websites, offering news, food, lifestyle and entertainment coverage for millions to the Golden Horseshoe and GTA regions. The independently-run, online news source was founded in 2019 and specializes in everything from breaking news to food and restaurant, arts and entertainment and lifestyle coverage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

The fight for Muslim representation in Hollywood — and the danger of falling behind

Last week, Emmy-winning actor and the star of last year's music-biopic Sound of Metal, Riz Ahmed, made a grim observation. Looking at the dismal...

A peek inside the cartoon debauchery of Regina’s Daarian Woroniak

It was Daarian Woroniak's father who first found an adequate description of his work: cartoon debauchery.  A recent example is a painted...

‘TESSEL’ brings Black dancers together to explore global discourse on race

Dancer and choreographer, Esie Mensah, directed a...

Springsteen on Broadway theatre backtracks on refusing entry to AstraZeneca recipients

Canadians fully immunized with two shots of the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine may now attend a highly anticipated Broadway production featuring Bruce Springsteen, but...

Recent Comments