8.6 C
New York
Sunday, September 26, 2021
Home Business Canadian security firm GardaWorld launches $5B hostile takeover bid of Britain's G4S

Canadian security firm GardaWorld launches $5B hostile takeover bid of Britain’s G4S


GardaWorld, the world’s largest privately owned security company, said Monday it was making a cash offer worth 3 billion pounds, or $5.2 billion Cdn, for G4S, a London-based rival that has rejected or ignored the Canadian company’s previous approaches.

Montreal-based GardaWorld said it decided to publicize its revised bid of 190 pence per share to pressure G4S’s board into talks.

G4S responded by saying the bid “significantly undervalues the company and its prospects.”

“Shareholders are strongly advised to take absolutely no action in relation to the new proposal,” G4S said.

G4S shares jumped 25 per cent to close at 182.45 pence on the London Stock Exchange. The stock is still down more than 40 per cent from its peak in June 2017. GardaWorld doesn’t list its shares on a stock exchange.

Since last year, London-based BC Partners has been the controlling shareholder in the Quebec company after reaching a $5.2 billion deal in exchange for a 51 per cent stake. GardaWorld founder Stephan Cretier owns 43 per cent, while the remainder belongs to other managers of the company.

Cretier, who is chief executive officer of GardaWorld, said in a statement that “we believe that the combined business’s operations will offer a better future for all those who depend on G4S.”

He wasn’t available for interviews Monday.

Employees across the world

G4S, which employs more than 500,000 people in 85 countries, said its financial performance has been “particularly resilient” since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

In July, G4S posted underlying first-half earnings of 97 million pounds (or about $167 million), the same as for the year-earlier period. Revenue fell 1.5 per cent to 3.35 billion pounds (just over $5.6 billion).

In a letter dated Aug. 31 sent to the board of the British company, Cretier acknowledged that these results have exceeded expectations, which were not very high in the current context.

He also recalled that the first proposal was 102 pence per share, roughly half of the current offer.



Source link

Today news
Today News 1 runs four of the western GTA’s most influential media websites, offering news, food, lifestyle and entertainment coverage for millions to the Golden Horseshoe and GTA regions. The independently-run, online news source was founded in 2019 and specializes in everything from breaking news to food and restaurant, arts and entertainment and lifestyle coverage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Why some Canadians are ready to travel; landlord boots tenant over tattoos: CBC’s Marketplace cheat sheet

Miss something this week? Don't panic. CBC's Marketplace rounds up the consumer and health news you need. Want this in your inbox? Get the Marketplace newsletter every...

U.K. eyes temporary truck driver visas to ease fuel rationing

In a U-turn, the British government is expected to ease visa rules for truck drivers to help fix supply-chain problems that have triggered...

U.S. vaccination requirement for air passengers worries Canadians with mixed vaccines

Canadian travellers have been able to fly freely to the United States since the start of the pandemic, but new U.S. travel rules...

Resolving Meng case removes giant thorn from Canada’s business relationship with China

No matter how much political and popular outrage was stirred up by the Meng Wanzhou extradition case — both in Canada and in...

Recent Comments